Welcome! We’re so excited to re-open WIP School –
WIP School is our monthly membership program that focuses on building professional authors. It’s a combination of live support, an extensive training vault, and a dynamic community to help you as you go through the process of writing, publishing, and selling your book.
Is WIP School Right for me?
If you answer yes to any, several, or all of the following questions, it’s a good fit for you:
- You have a lot of questions about the publishing process.
- You need lots of help with marketing!
- You love the idea of accountability, networking, and having a group to support you.
- You want to learn new skills to grow your author business.
- You want to see results!
- You’re overwhelmed.
- You’re not sure where to find the people to help you with editing, cover design, interior layout.
- You don’t have a marketing strategy, or your current book marketing efforts are not going well.
- You don’t have an email list or a very large social media following.
- You feel alone in the process and are looking for community and support.
- You are at the point where you need beta readers or critique partners and aren’t sure who or where to ask.
- You’d love feedback on your cover, your website, your social media.
- You want to grow as an author and make great connections.
- You are able to do some training on your own time and come to ask questions to implement.
- You’ve signed up for other on demand training or programs and have never made the effort to do the work, or you didn’t understand and had no place to ask live questions.
- You’re a social butterfly and love the idea of meeting with other authors every week.
- You have a limited budget but know you need help and support.
Frequently Asked Questions
We received a lot of questions about the program over the last few days, so I wanted to take a moment to answer them.
Q: What IS WIP School?
A: It’s the program I built that I wished I’d had as an author going through the phases. Even as a seasoned veteran, I’m still learning – and supporting authors keeps me on my toes. We share best practices, easier processes, sharper tools, plus feedback and support as you’re making decisions along the way.
WIP School includes…
- Free access to our monthly publishing premium workshop
- THREE exclusive Q&A sessions with Alexa every month
- THREE exclusive Q&A sessions with our Write|Publish|Sell team members on tech questions, websites, email CRMs, Instagram, Facebook, newsletters, TikTok and more every month
- Free access to our massive training vault, with marketing, publishing and writing resources galore
- A brand-new template template (tool) every month to move you forward
- Exclusive networking sessions and weekly writing time
- Author pod matching to help you find your writing besties
- A private WIP School community where you can connect with our team and your fellow authors
Q: I’m still writing – is this program for me?
A: Absolutely. This is the BEST time for you to start. If you ask any author what they wish they could change, almost all of them will tell you that they wish they’d known more when they started to avoid the multitude of mistakes they made along the way. Lay the groundwork while you’re still writing, and you’ll have a much easier time prepping for the launch.
This program is about giving you the building blocks for author success.
Authors in the early phases of their process will spend time:
- Start to identify ideal readers
- Get all questions about the publishing process and routes to publishing answered
- Learn whether you should self, hybrid, or traditionally publish
- Identify the type of marketing profile you want to start creating
- Begin to build your profile as authors and experts
If you’re ready to spend a little time each month laying the foundation for your book’s success, yes, this program is for you, no matter where you are in your writing process.
Q: I’ve already published my book, is this still a good program for me?
A: Are you struggling with marketing or need help taking it to the next level? Do you have more books you might want to do differently or realized after the fact you could have done better? If the answer to either of these is yes, then WIP School is a good fit.
Q: Is this really for all authors / all genres? (Novelists/memoir writers/children’s book authors/nonfiction writers)
A: Yep! All kinds of authors join WIP School, and we have been so excited to see that there is a huge amount of information regularly being shared between authors working in really different genres. There is a freshness of insight that seems to really pop up when we mix a diverse group of writers together!
Q: I want to be traditionally published. Is WIP School for me?
A: It absolutely can be! We can answer questions on agents, finding agents, proposals and query letters, give resources on how to make sure you’re best prepared. Most agents want a book that’s already been edited – we have connections with editors. But most importantly, even if you’re traditionally published, the lion’s share of marketing is going to fall on YOU. We’ve got you covered!
Q: When do the live sessions happen?
A: WIP School has a lot of live content happening every month. It’s all recorded, so if you can’t make every (or any) live session, that’s okay. We also make it possible for folks who can’t attend the live sessions to ask their questions, so they don’t need to worry about missed opportunities.
That said, many people prefer to ask their questions live. Our Q&As happen at 1pm EST, and our writing sessions usually happen between 10am – 1pm EST. Networking sessions will be based on folks’ schedules and move around to make sure people can get there. Author pods will be set up to work with the participants’ schedules.
Q: What’s the time commitment?
The time commitment is what you want / can put into it! We have at least 1 hour of live Q&A sessions each week, a 90 minute training session each month, and other webinars, guest speakers, networking, etc. But you attend what you want and put into it the amount of time you have available.
You could spend hours in our training vault, but these are all on demand and you can go through them at any time, as long as you’re an active member.
The training vault is available on Day 1 of your membership.
Q: It looks like you focus largely on publishing and marketing. What kind of support do you offer for writing?
I’m so excited to announce, we’ve just added a new bonus session – writing critique, which will be facilitated by an editor who can give feedback, as well as your peers. We also have members in the group who are writing coaches, and if you need additional help, we can make those connections. Also, your Author Pod (facilitated small groups) should be a great resource for providing feedback and support.
AND, we’ve partnered with Jenna Avery of Called to Write, a program to help writers move forward on their writing, and she’ll be offering a substantial discount for her program for writers who need additional writing support.
But yes, it is important to note the program is more centrally focused on your development and growth as an author, understanding routes to publishing and steps you need to take, and how to grow your author platform and market, so if you’re only looking for a writing support program at the moment, this is not it.
Q: When will you open back up for New Members?
A: We plan on opening for 2-3 days once a quarter. Our next open enrollment is scheduled for the end of June.
What Others Say!
Our members have so many great things to say about this program!
Thank you for all of the value you bring to WIP School. There is no hesitation in signing up for this again – Alexa is the best and I appreciate her tireless commitment to keeping us all inspired and moving forward. She’s amazing. – Rebecca Eldridge
Alexa is such an endearing person. At the end of the summit, she said something like …no matter what combination of publishers and promoters you’re looking for, we can help you find that. I think that sums up what WIP School is all about. – Amanda Johnston
#becauseofwipschool I found my ideal readers, developed targeted marketing strategies and launched with a plan. The work paid off and I sold 2,000 copies of my debut novel, Reputation An Easy Thing to Lose (https://www.stormhauspublishing.com/) in only 100 days! Thanks Alexa Haddock Bigwarfe and the whole WIP School team – Emily Storm-Smith