Amazon introduces a new self-publishing platform – Kindle Scout.
Writers can submit a never-before-published novel to Kindle Scout and in 45 days or less, the book will be considered for a publishing contract with Kindle Press.
The Kindle Scout program accepts books in English in the following genres: romance, mystery & thriller, science fiction & fantasy, and literature & fiction.
This is the fun part. If your book is chosen for publication, you receive:
- Guaranteed advance & competitive royalties: A $1,500 advance and 50% eBook royalty rate.
- Focused formats: We acquire worldwide publication rights for eBook and audio formats in all languages. You retain all other rights, including print.
- 5-year renewable terms: If your book doesn’t earn $25,000 in royalties during the initial 5-year contract term, and any 5-year renewal term after that, you can choose to stop publishing with us.
- Easy reversions: After two years, rights in any format or language that remains unpublished, or all rights for any book that earns less than $500 in total royalties in the preceding 12-month period, can be reverted upon request–no questions asked.
- Early downloads & reviews: One week prior to release date, everyone who nominated your book will receive a free, early copy to help build momentum and customer reviews.
- Featured Amazon marketing: Your book will be enrolled into the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, Kindle Unlimited as well as be eligible for targeted email campaigns and promotions.
These are really great incentives for brand new writers or writers who have struggled with the self-publishing process.
However, it carries the same downsides as with all traditional publishing deals – you lose control over pricing, distribution, and so forth. BUT… you get the arm of Amazon with all of it’s marketing programs.
Overall, this seems like a fantastic program to get quality books in the marketplace and grow your author reputation!
So if you’ve got a book you’ve written and haven’t published, you can learn more on the Kindle Scout website.