How to Add Categories on Amazon KDP
You’ll hear book marketers tell you about the beauty of being able to add up to 10 categories on Amazon. Yes, even if they only show 3 at a time – they generally show the 3 your book is performing the best in. However, you can have your book in many more categories.
On your end, you’ll need to do the research to determine what categories (and there are many you’ve probably never heard about!) are the best for your book and may help it to achieve more success than the really enormous categories. We use Publisher Rocket to help us find categories. They have an amazing free training on choosing categories which you should definitely check out.
Once you have determined the categories you want to use, you’ll follow the next steps. This process is not difficult and categories are generally added and/or updated within 48 hours.
- Log into your KDP account and look for the HELP link at the top right
- Select KDP Categories from the menu on the left hand side of the page.
- You’ll land on a page with a lot of information about categories. This is a great learning tool if you aren’t well versed in categories. Read their information for your own information. But for the purposes of this tutorial, continue to step 4!
- Scroll down to the CONTACT US page. Click on Contact Us button.
- Select the option Update Amazon Categories.
- Fill out the form with the template they’ve provided. Make sure you have all of the information they are requesting.
- Hit Send! They’ll generally let you know when it’s been updated, or send back any questions they may have.
And now you know how to add categories on Amazon KDP. Again don’t forget to check out the free information from Publisher Rocket on choosing your categories.